This is Torrevieja
Parroquia de la Inmaculada Concepción
The oldest church in Torrevieja
The church of the Parroquia de la Inmaculada Concepción in Torrevieja is the oldest in the town.
The history of the church of the Immaculate Conception is marked by the development and history of Torrevieja.
The church building we see today, neoclassical, is from 1880 and stands on a site where there were previous temples, of which nothing is preserved.
The growth of the old village of Torre Vigía, from where Torrevieja gets its name, forced the bishopric to build a temple, since the fishermen who lived in the town had to go to a private farm to hear mass.
This is how, in 1789, a church was built, facing the sea, in the current Plaza de la Constitución. Years later, the earthquake of 1829 that destroyed almost the entire municipality, also took its toll on the temple. Its reconstruction began in 1844, finishing in its entirety in 1880, and the towers in 1907.
These two towers, with bell towers, frame the brick body of the parish. On the main façade, which is accessed by a small staircase, the statue of a Christ rises above the access door framed in an arch, with openings on both sides. The spacious white interior is covered with barrel vaults. On the main altar is the image of the Immaculate Conception, patron saint of Torrevieja.