Home How To Guides How to obtain a disabled parking permit in Torrevieja

How to obtain a disabled parking permit in Torrevieja

5 min read
Disabled parking in Torrevieja
Listen to this article

The first thing to note before we explain the procedure for obtaining one, is that Blue Disabled Parking Permits issued in the UK are no longer valid in Spain as a result of Brexit. Therefore, if you do need to take advantage of priority parking due to mobility problems, you will have to apply in the town hall.

In order to apply for a Blue Badge in Torrevieja, you first need to confirm that you are eligible.

In order to be eligible for a disabled parking badge in Torrevieja, firstly you must be a resident, and registered on the padrón. Tourists, holidaymakers, and holiday home owners are not eligible.

If you are a tourist from the UK and you have a blue badge issued there, this is no longer recognised in Spain, and so you are not allowed to take advantage of disabled parking bays. There was no agreement asked for by the UK with Spain (or other EU countries) as part of the Brexit withdrawal deal.

You must be able to prove a degree of disability, normally of at least 33%, and this must be certified by a doctor in Spain, and based on the Spanish assessment criteria. You cannot bring your confirmation from a UK based doctor, as this too is not recognised.

Once you have the necessary paperwork, the application and issuing of the disabled parking permit is done through the PROP Office in Torrevieja, Registro General y Ventanilla Única PROP, located on Pl. de la Constitucion, 2, 03181 Torrevieja, where a Local Police officer is normally on hand to check and begin the application process.

You will also need passport sized photographs and a completed application form.

Once you have your parking permit, you can park in areas designated for disabled vehicle users, but it does not allow parking in pedestrian zones, crossings, and other places where stopping or parking is prohibited.nIts improper use will be penalised.

If you have any doubts, and need assistance, the International Residents Department in the town hall can answer your questions.

The International Residents Department in Torrevieja can attend to residents in English, as well as French, German, Scandinavian, Russian, Bulgarian, and, of course, Spanish. You can email them direct, at pangea@torrevieja.eu, and you can make an appointment to visit them in person via the website, torrevieja.es, where you should look for the Residentes Internacionales Oficina Pangea, and you can visit them in La Mata town hall, or the office in La Siesta, calle Paganini, again, by appointment.

Load More Related Articles
Load More In How To Guides
Comments are closed.